Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Celebrating the Single Girl


My first blog entry, “Being a single girl is hard” implied that existing without a guy (or girl if that’s the team you play for) is something not to be desired. The truth is being a single girl can be hard but it can also be one of the most exciting, liberating, and enjoyable experiences known to man. No pun intended.

Over the weekend I decided that I wanted to go out for dinner, have a glass of wine, and treat myself to some delicious food and good company. Oh wait, I’m single. All of my girlfriends had plans or live too far away and there were a few people I just wasn’t interested in sharing the night with (either they talk too much, too little, or we have absolutely nothing in common – maybe some friend inventory is in order).

I took a long nap in the afternoon and threw on jeans and a tank top (the single girl uniform) and hopped in my car. Dining out alone is probably my most favorite thing to do. I call these days (and sometimes nights) the single girl day out.

I found myself at a delicious Italian restaurant on the north side of the city. I gave my car to the valet (because I was entirely too lazy to look for parking) and headed in to greet the host. “It’s only me,” I said to her with a huge grin. She looked at me sort of strangely and said “Fantastic! Right this way.” Okay, the single dinner out was off to a good start.

I was a little skeptical only because I had never attempted the "single girl out" on a Saturday night which would usually be described as “date night”. Who cares? I was single, carefree – and starving!

I was seated quickly and the service was fantastic. The waiter kept bringing me more wine and bread (the last supper but without all of the drama). I actually don’t think I’ve ever had that great of service before so it was a pleasant surprise.

I had an amazing glass of wine (or three, don't judge), salad, pasta, and crème brulee with coffee. As a side note, my pants are fitting me tighter and tighter these days. Us single gals gotta eat! My check came and much to my surprise I realized I was only charged for my dinner and one glass of wine. The waiter had “taken care of” over half of my bill.

Then it dawned on me - this waiter felt bad for me! He hadn’t asked for my number or indicated any interest beyond an occasional offer of cracked pepper or parmesan cheese - and my intuition told me he was more interested in guys than girls. He probably thought I was single, couldn’t get a date, and was instead forced to dine out on “date night” alone, eat a bowl full of pasta, a plate full of cheese, and multiple glasses of wine.

Or maybe he was impressed! Maybe he thought, “Wow this woman is in total control of herself. She’s confident, strong, and incredibly smokin’ hot. And if I were interested in women I would TOTALLY give her my digits.”

So treat yourself to a “single girl day (or night) out”. Even if you’re a happily married, kids galore woman who loves her life, job, and all that jazz. Take time for you. A dinner, a movie, a [something] to remind yourself you’re awesome and if I were interested in dating women I would totally give YOU my digits.

1 comments:

Laura said...

Love this! It's perfect...I do it myself (even when I have a boyfriend!). It's a must...always...to spend good QT with YOU. Nice one Kate!

Post a Comment