Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Valentine's Day Snuggles


Valentine's Day is right around the corner. The local super market has entire aisles full of Necco hearts with phrases forced to fit. There are balloons with things you would never say to a real person like "Be Mine" and "I'm Yours". There are street vendors selling celophane-wrapped gift baskets with furry teddy bears sitting on top of coffee mugs tied with gaudy satin bows. A steal at only $10 (for the little one - big one is much more).

Maybe this year you're spending Valentine's day solo. Last year my very dear friend from South Miami came to visit me in Chicago and we spent the night watching movies, drinking wine, and consuming way to many movie-size boxes of candy from TARGET.

The evening started with a home cooked meal of baked garlic, baguette, and some really stinky cheese. A couple of bottles of wine and (yes, there's more) homemade chipwiches. And if you don't know what that is, shame on you. But email me and I will give you the homemade recipe.

After our "meal" my friend put in her favorite movie called "The Notebook". Now I'm not a romance fan. The love that lasts forever, can never be seperated, blah, blah, blah. After a couple of glasses of wine we were both crying (me more than her, yes I said it).

The night ended with (I think) more wine and a wobbly walk to bed.

What's the point of this long story?

Valentine's Day is a holiday that builds pressure. It creates a self-evaluation of sorts. We're single and on that day single is not an option.

I encourage you to challenge the rules of the day. Spend the day with the person or thing you love. A movie, a homemade chipwich (no judgement), whatever floats your boat.

Bernard and I will sit by the fire, and watch some TV.
And yes, there will also be snuggling.

-Single Girl

0 comments:

Post a Comment