Friday, September 11, 2009

Dating Slang


When you were in high school, what were your dating buzz words?

It's possible you used sports to explain your relationship progress;
"Last night Joe and I went to 1st base. It was rad."

Or perhaps in your college years you used the old reliable;
"My head hurts. I can't believe Dan and I hooked up".

If you're my younger cousin, you're using big words that single girl doesn't really understand; "We're not exclusive. We're only in a textationship."

When we're dating, we become tied to labels. When do we consider ourselves to be exclusive? At what point do we classify our relationship as boyfriend and girlfriend. Does hooking up mean that we aren't seeing anyone else or that we just had too many beers.

I've always been a single girl that puts it out there. I'm terribly honest and straight forward when it comes to communicating with friends and especially with the opposite sex. One thing I'm learning is that labels don't really mean anything except to the people that make them.

I could run up and down the streets of Chicago saying, "I have a boyfriend! I have a boyfriend!". But if the boyfriend doesn't feel the same, or understand what that means to me, then I pretty much just look like an idiot. (Single girl looked like an idiot last week running down Michigan Avenue and tripping in front of 50 tourists)

Labels = Communication

If you want exclusivity, be clear about it. If you only want to hook up then go for it. But also allow things to happen naturally. Classifying or labeling a relationship 2 weeks in has disaster written all over it. And always having to ask "what does this mean?" usually means that you have no clue where things are and/or where they're going.

Take a peek at other dating slang terms here and here.

I'll be trying to understand what people mean when they give someone the "Sailor's elbow".

0 comments:

Post a Comment