Saturday, July 16, 2011

Dream a Little Dream

Last night I dreamt that I sent a love letter to my ex-boyfriend. Now for a little perspective, my hair was neon purple and I drove a spaceship. Just sayin'...

In the dream I sent a hand written love letter to an ex boyfriend explaining that I had been thinking about him constantly and wondered how he was doing. The letter was about a page and I spent extra time making sure it was legible (have you seen my cursive?). I don't know if I ever sent the letter though. I woke up to the sound of Bernard having puppy dreams and running in place.

What was the point of this dream?

We're told that dreams are never what we think they are. Reaching out to an ex boyfriend has nothing to do with actually wanting to get back in touch with him. In fact, it probably has something to do with a bill I forgot to pay or an email I need to respond to.

Or does it...

When I dated my double life partner, I had dreams all the time about my teeth falling out. Hang in there and listen. Maybe you've had these too?

I'd walk around my dream feeling something lose in my mouth and would reach in to find a molar that had fallen out. In these dreams, I'd neatly place them in a Ziploc bag until I could find a dentist or someone with some sort of skill to help me.

Years later I remember watching an episode of the Sopranos where Tony's teeth keep falling out in his dreams. I searched online and found out that your teeth falling out is essentially an indicator of insecurity either in your physical appearance or a decision you've made / are making. I had no idea that this was related to my relationship, but in hindsight (it's always 20/20) I now know why I had that dream basically once a week. I knew that I had made a decision to stay in a situation where deep down I knew something was wrong. I didn't know the extent of what was wrong, but my teeth knew something was off.

What does it mean when we dream about reconnecting with an ex?
What does it mean when we actually do in real life?

Do you believe that everything happens for a reason?
Was that dream intended for me to think about that relationship?
Or do I just need to pay my mortgage?

Needless to say, I never wrote the letter that I had in my dream. In fact, the feelings that I had in that dream, while short lived and overwhelming, have already left.
I don't even remember why I wrote it...

And yet funny enough, I remember that awful purple hair.

0 comments:

Post a Comment