Monday, July 18, 2011

Ex Boyfriends Are Like College

I recently wrote about a dream I had where I wrote a letter to an ex boyfriend and shared my thoughts about how I missed him and wished him well. In a recent email exchange with a former colleague and now great friend, she asked me if I was dating anyone.

Does my relationship with the Citibank online chat service count? He was nice, we bonded. I even shared my social security number! In no time, he had accessed my financial records (kind of like my double life ex!). He gave me his direct phone number and said to call if I need anything. I had problems ordering checks the other day and left him a message. Five bucks says he won't call back.

My friend also mentioned that an ex boyfriend from back in the day had resurfaced on Facebook (shocker) and friended her. She was going to wait a bit before responding and explained that time changes people and things are never as you remember them. Which brings us to today's post my friends...

Ex boyfriends are like college; they always seem a lot more exciting and fun then they really were.

Every year I go back to Florida to visit my Mom and also my undergrad university. My years at college were rock solid. I was tan (Miami of all places), popular, and living comfortably. My dorm suite was well-decorated and my car was a dude magnet. Life was good!

Fast forward 10 years since graduation and things are so much more clear. I wasn't tan - I was sun burnt all of the time. In fact I remember one Saturday where I spent the day at the beach sans sunscreen and couldn't come within 5 feet of a toaster oven. Feel the burn people!

My popularity was limited to the freshmen class I oversaw during my year as a resident advisor. My weekends were spent policing the female dormitory identifying weird smells and late night dance party's to Sisco's "Thong Song".


And my dorm? My room, while without a roommate was cold and musty. The day I moved in, mold had grown in the corners due to a freshman who left the windows open all summer break and the parking lot was next to my bed. I spent three and a half years buying different comforters only to end up with a large TARGET bill and a storage unit full of linen.

There were good times in college. Nights out with my best girlfriend at Club Zen in South Beach. All you can drink ladies nights and unlimited food at the cafe. I had a love affair with Blue Long Island Iced Teas and sadly, we parted ways 6 months later.

Boyfriends often times feel the same. Just the other day I reminisced over a day of cooking I had done with an ex boyfriend. Working at the counter, chopping, and tasting. A couple of kisses in between. Lovely.

But when I really thought hard, I remembered being "given" my own counter so as not to invade his. I was not cutting things correctly (she slices! she dices!) and my ignorance of how to make apple butter made me feel inadequate. I spent an entire day making a pie that turned out perfect but I didn't even like the way it tasted.

Perhaps college, like my ex boyfriends were a little of both.
A little good.
A little bad.
Sometimes sweet.
Sometimes sour.

But at the end of those memories and years, we can look back fondly on our experiences.
We can relive the happy moments in sometimes lackluster times.
And as we smile at the thought of our trips and times spent,
we can be thankful we've graduated and moved on.


0 comments:

Post a Comment