Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Self-Help Me God


In every girl's life a little rain must fall. And during those torrential down pours I've often found myself in the self-help section of the local Barnes & Noble. Dating advice is everywhere and there will always be someone to share their views on why you're not dating, why you're not married, why you're married but shouldn't be. You get the idea.

I recently finished my graduate studies and was in a class with one of the most interesting (and entertaining) women I've ever met. She was always falling in and out of love and on our last night of class admitted she was finally ready to settle down. This of course was after her love affair with an ex boyfriend in jail had gone south.

She had recently picked up the most interesting book: "Why Men Love Bitches: From Doormat to Dreamgirl". I burst into laughter when I saw the title. "Is this how you're going to meet the man of your dreams? By being a complete beeeotch?"

I thumbed through the book and read the first few pages. Page one read: Act like a prize and you'll turn him into a believer. Really? Do you mean to say that we women are not already prizes? I was slightly jaded but willing to read more.

I read on to Attraction Principle #3: A woman is perceived as offering a mental challenge to the degree that a man doesn't feel he has 100% hold on her.

Interesting. So I should date, sleep with, get engaged, marry - and ultimately spend the rest of my life with a guy who never really feels like I'm fully there. I get it now! I will make myself difficult to make plans with not because I have a real life but because I will be a mental challenge to a guy.

"The bitch...makes plenty of peeps... and is bitching the whole way through." Every man I've dated has thought nagging is thee sexiest thing ever. Nothing says lets go crazy on each other like me not being able to shut my mouth.

There's a true difference between being a bitch and being a confident woman. Bitches are just rude. Confident women know what they want, are always ready to share their thoughts, and won't change who they are. But confident women are also kind and compassionate. They actually have souls. And while they don't always give in they'll always give love.

1 comments:

KPF said...

Amen Sista. I always hated the title and complete concept of that book!

Post a Comment