Tuesday, July 6, 2010

The Formula for (Or Against) Online Dating

When it comes to online dating, I've gone both ways. Some days I feel like its one of a few options to meet people. I bike to work every day, go out for cocktails with girlfriends, and hardly ever cross paths with someone who I would consider entering into a relationship with. I pull out my worn Citibank debit card and slowly enter the numbers, expiration, and security code - hoping that a small deposit will bring back true love. Yeah, I know. Wishful thinking.

Other days I believe what will come my way, will in fact happen a little more organically. That one day I'll be strolling down the street and I'll bump into some ridiculous smart, funny, and handsome guy who will sweep me off my size 10 feet and we'll live happily ever after. Yeah, I know. Wishful thinking.

This weekend in between some pretty hard core Lance Armstrong style bike riding, I went online to do some reading when I stumbled across an article titled, "Why You Should Never Pay for Online Dating".  Now keep in mind its written by a free online dating site, but the article completely blew my mind.

The writer attempts to take the slightly public success metrics for big, expensive sites like Match.com and eHarmony.com and figures out the likelihood that you (or I for that matter) will meet someone on one of these sites and marry them.

The article discusses the idea of "dead profiles" on these dating sites as a way to lure in people and the stats on how many people sign up for one month (2 months, 6, a year, etc) and actually return. What's the turn over rate on these sites?

The statement that stopped me dead in my tracks was the following. Based on the math - and this math is damn good:

"It turns out you are 12.4 times more likely to get married this year if you don't subscribe to Match.com".

Did you read that? That means by canceling my membership a few weeks ago, not only did I save myself a whopping $36 per month which I can use towards some sort of fun vacation (Single Girl has something in the works!)  but I also increased my odds of meeting the man of the dreams.

Perhaps last week's mailing of Exclusively Weddings was in fact a "heads up" that something good this way comes.

For those of you who are toying with the idea of online dating or are on there and are just not feeling like you're getting out of it what you're putting in (financial and time), read this article (link below). Read it thoroughly and read it good my friends.

And if you don't believe the math, break out that dusty old single girl calculator and do the math.

Read more here: http://bit.ly/b08ffj

-S.G.

3 comments:

Single parents dating said...

Just as any sort of social interaction can have pros and cons, this is also true with online dating. But without this form of dating outlet singles probably wouldn't meet more people interested in dating than they would.

Senior dating services said...

It is one of the most complicated, yet most desired virtues—it is what every human heart longs for.

Yogesh said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Post a Comment