Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Seasons Change



When I was in 7th grade I sported some of the most bizarre hair styles you could ever imagine. Single girl rocked brat braids (google it), corn rows, high pony tails and spiral curls.

In high school I worked at the GAP and my style changed from around-the-way-girl, to standard khakis and royal blue dress shirts. My idea of dressing up was a denim skirt and a polo. It was casual and simple. 

College days came around and I went through a crazy identity crisis. I showed up to the dorm in a tie-dyed hemp dress, and wrapped up freshman year in club clothes and heels.

The point of telling you about these changes? First, be careful who has a camera. Don’t pose proudly wearing a North Carolina Tarheels jersey and your hair matted to your forehead. Second, much like fashion, things in your life will change.

What was your favorite shoe in your early 20s? How did you define “dressing up” in your teenage years?

My love for the boot cut jean changed with my hips and a once comfortable stiletto, now accumulates dust in the back of my closet.

During any given fashion craze, I thought that my choice of apparel would be a life long commitment. At the age of 60 I’d still be rockin’ out in hemp clothes, smoking pot, and listening to Lauryn Hill.

I was wrong.

Things change. And our wants, and more importantly our needs change too. If you asked me six months ago if I’d spend the rest of my life wearing jeans and a cute shirt, I’d say yes.

But jeans and a cute shirt don’t always fit the frame. On occasion, our “go to” staple does not go to us.

We are left feeling confused. 

We are lost in a sea of clothing – searching for something that fits and not really understanding why that same outfit that fit so well is no longer a perfect match.

I’m not here to tell you what to wear, how to style your hair, or what color suits you.

Just know that from every phase in our (fashion) life, we are learning. 

We are loving. 

We are discovering who we are and what we deserve.

We are often times lost.

Sometimes we are found.

But always know that we are wonderful.





0 comments:

Post a Comment