Monday, June 14, 2010

Coffee Shop Experiment

This weekend I felt truly single.  Friday night I ordered in and watched "Pretty Woman" on TBS. Saturday morning I had some retail therapy at Old Orchard mall (I'm crying while looking at the receipts right now - I spent $38 on lip gloss. Please don't judge).

Sunday morning I drove out to the suburbs and did a 50 mile bike ride around the lovely community of Barrington. Last night I got caught in the rain during a dog walk and went to bed around 9:30 p.m.

Single girl life is a bit on the slow side these days. With triathlon training (six days a week), a semi decent social life, and a dog, I find myself incredibly busy but often times bored. This week I have plans 6 days out of 7. I'm not super excited about any of them though. Well maybe my next long bike ride or a long swim at the gym.

I was reading online this weekend (while consuming some very delicious carry-out from Coast) about ways to meet people in the city. There was a top ten list of some sort that walked you through the "best of the best" as a sort of how-to guide to finding someone new.

#1 was actually intriguing; Spending time at a coffee shop.

Apparently the aroma of ground beans and scones elicits a certain romance in the air conducive to meeting someone on a Saturday or Sunday morning. In my case, Friday or Saturday night.

I thought of all of the great coffee shops in Chicago. Now granted, I love a grande non fat chai from Starbucks but (no offense buckers) I mean real coffee shops. Coffee houses that have slightly worn sofas with funky music playing in the background. Where the majority of people inside have plastic framed glasses and converse. Where everyone's a Mac and a double short of something booming with caffeine.

So today I'll start my experiment: Operation Beans.

Create a solid list of stand-up coffee shops in Chicago proper and pick one day per week to spend at least an hour with beverage, perhaps a book, and just watch.

The article I read said, "sit by the door and smile at every person that walks in the door". I subscribe to the smile policy but every person that walks in? The Baristas will likely ask me to leave because people will think I'm creepy. I'll use my judgement on choice of facial expression day of.

Day: Sunday (only day free)
Coffee shop: Uncommon Ground (Wrigleyville location)
Time: Evening

Between now and Sunday, I'll be compiling the rest of my list. Please send along any suggestions you may have and if you see a tall single girl on Sunday evening with plastic frame glasses, stop by and buy me an espresso.

-S.G.

0 comments:

Post a Comment