Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Operation Beans: Uncommon Ground, Wrigleyville


If someone asked you to describe yourself as a caffeinated beverage, what would you be? A red eye? A large drip with room? What size? Would you have extra shots of some delicious syrup?

I’d be a double short Americano. Not only does it sound incredibly cool when you order it but it comes in a small package and packs a serious punch. My 5’10 height aside, I’m a small package, but the contents of this container are hot.

Sunday I headed north to the lovely neighborhood of Wrigleyville and camped out on the Uncommon Ground patio. When I last wrote, I mentioned that I would list my 10 coffee shops and visit each one, sit by the door, and smile at (almost) everyone who walks in.

This visit was successful. Let’s just say while I didn’t spend much time people watching, I did spend 2.5 hours talking with a very nice person. We discussed the gorgeous weather we’ve been having (minus the twister that went through downtown Chicago last Friday) and held a very casual, comfortable conversation outdoors – I had mint tea with lemon (single girl battles a cold this week) and this person had iced tea.

At the end of the evening I looked down at my waterproof puma messenger bag (looks cute but doesn’t hold squat) and realized I hadn’t even cracked my laptop open. Nor had I really smiled at anyone – except across the table.

A successful evening? I would say for my first attempt, this was a good set-up for more of what’s to come. I’m optimistic and open. And if at the end of my visits to 10 coffee shops, all I walk away with is a great conversation, well single girl say that’s just fine.

This Sunday, single girl heads north to live it up in Lakeview, Intelligentsia on Broadway.

Order up.

-S.G. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment