Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Reject Me Not

How's this for rejection?

Yesterday I went to give blood. I sat down next to the nurse, answered a series of strange questions, (apparently if you've lived in the UK for more than 5 years you can't donate) and spelled my last name 3 times until she finally typed it correctly in her computer.

At the end of the questionnaire I was given a disapproving face by the nurse as she said, "Sorry, we can't accept your blood. You're rejected". What? Not only have I been striking out in the world of dating these days but now even my platelets aren't good enough.

At the beginning of the year I spent a week and a half in Central American with a great love. Apparently we spent some of those great times in a malaria-infected area which perhaps could've been a sign that we were headed to Splittsville (population: me).

 To add insult to injury, the nurse would not let me leave the donation center until I gave her all of the areas that we stayed which meant I had to look through all of my emails including hotel confirmations and notes about how wonderful the trip was - in order to find that I stayed in a malaria-infected area and could not donate blood until February 2011. February 14th to be exact. C'mon!

After reliving my trip in 2 minutes I was given a rejection letter (no, seriously. It says you're rejected) and a sticker that said, "I make a difference". I begrudgingly stuck it to my shirt, kicked a proverbial can, and walked back to the office.

Returning to my desk, I thought 1) damn those mosquitoes! and 2) sometimes you just don't get what you want. I wanted to make a difference yesterday but I couldn't. I tried unsuccessfully.

On a related note, I've stumbled across what could be the most inspirational video ever - yes, ever!
If you find yourself rejected by a single boy, having a tough day - or (god forbid) the Red Cross is "just not that into you" as a donor, take a moment to enjoy this video: http://www.someecards.com/card/3628

0 comments:

Post a Comment