Thursday, June 10, 2010

Freedom to do, well whatever...

I've been trying this new thing where I smile at everyone I make eye contact with. Walking down the street there are opportunities left and right to meet new people (friends, more than friends, whatever).


I see someone, I make eye contact and smile. Usually they smile back. At the very least, it makes their day to know people are still pleasant in this city. People still care. Maybe this whole smiling thing will turn into something bigger. Maybe I'll smile at the right person and something great will come out of it. It only takes one.


Single in the city (loving the weather) is such an interesting experience. Talking to a friend the other day, I explained how when you're single you have absolute freedom to do anything you want. 
Let me say that again; absolute freedom to do anything you want.


If I want to sit at home and watch TV all Saturday afternoon while it's gorgeous outside and sunny, I can do that. If I want to spend my evening watching movies, eating popcorn and drinking champagne I can (side note: I did this a few years ago and it was awesome. Made for an interesting morning the next day, but fun nonetheless).


The freedom you have as a single person is something we should cherish. A few weeks ago I hated it. It felt uncomfortable and empty. Now I sort of get why people like it so much.


On the flip side, being in a relationship, coupled up with someone you love (and who loves you in return) is also an amazing feeling. You can always count on this person to be there and that makes you happy and full of joy. Let me say that again; you can always count on this person and that makes you happy.


Coupled life is really wonderful. Having experienced a great love, I know that when you're with someone who complements you and cares about you, you feel like you're floating. You are sleeping on clouds under the most beautiful sun, shaded by warmth. You feel, well - great.


Do you think that we're meant to experience both of these at various times of our life? Sometimes being coupled is just what we need while other times eating cookie dough and watching Bridezillas does the trick. I have to believe that they're both equally important. To know your self alone, as you are, nothing more, no one beside you. But also to know your self together, with someone, and all that they bring, right beside you. Just a thought.


Right now I have the freedom.
Tomorrow? Perhaps the next smile will tell.

0 comments:

Post a Comment