Thursday, June 24, 2010

Please, don't call me Carrie


Years ago, four women came together to create a HBO series that would change the way women look at relationships, sex, and shoes. I was a huge fan. I still am. I’ve seen the first SATC movie and own all of the seasons on DVD, but most recently I’ve felt like there’s something I need to clear up.

I am not Carrie.

The writing of Candace Bushnell and the characters she creates are phenomenal. She breathes life into four very different women with her words, witty antics, and some pretty amazing fashion choices. (see picture on left)

I don’t own Jimmy Choo.

I’m flattered that the women of Chicago (and some of the men even) think my style is something that could even compare to the lovely New York ladies who run the streets of Manhattan. It’s not that I can’t or don't want to have that, I just refuse to pay $800 for a pair of shoes and a grand for a wallet. I’m notorious for finding the perfect cute shirt and jeans at a reasonable price and some of my best “pieces” have come directly from the super saver rack at well-known department stores.

I don’t live drama.

At one point in my life I had a Big, you could say. But he wasn’t tall, rich or educated – and he only lingered around because I couldn’t get him to go away. I’m a drama-free girl, which sometimes means hearing the absolute truth. A friend or boyfriend with a thick skin (or an open ear) is a must have.

I tell it like it is.

Aside from the moments when I’m whimsical and carefree, I am completely honest about the experiences I have. I don’t disclose personally identifiable information but I do share what’s real for me, the things that I see – and hope that those experiences help others, and shape me in the process.

So to the friends who say, “Oh my god, you’re like Carrie Bradshaw!” after reading my blog please remember that on these (e-)pages, I am sharing my world; hilarious, sad, sometimes mildly entertaining.

And when the entries end, and no one subscribes anymore, I’m still just a Single Girl trying to figure it all out.



0 comments:

Post a Comment