Thursday, July 9, 2009

Whistle While You Work


When I was in high school I took two buses and a train to get to and from school. My total commute was close to two hours long and during that time I was forced to wait patiently on the street for the CTA bus or train to get me to my final destination.

Waiting on the street has its ups. In the summer you get a solid three hours outdoors in the cool breeze and warm sun. It also has its downs. For those of you that know Chicago, you know our winters are brutal and unforgiving (sort of like these white pants I bought last year from Ann Taylor).

Probably more brutal were the long waits and the cars that drove by whistling, honking, and making kissing noises.

Why do guys do this? You don't see any woman hanging out of their car windows motioning lude gestures and saying, "hey baby wanna ride?". We're not really programmed that way. Now that's not to say that all guys are. There are plenty of gentleman who are fully capable of walking down the street and not commenting on my backside (single girl pants fitting again btw!).

Have you ever walked past a construction site? It is like you were the last woman on earth and they are all fighting for your attention. If you're single girl pants aren't fitting that day it might be a nice ego boost. If you're just trying to get to work it's pretty damn annoying.

I say we flip the script. Throw on our yellow hard hats and reflective vests (Does this jack hammer make my butt look big?) and hit the streets to return the oh-so-generous gesture of whistles, cat calls, and smooches.

Or maybe we just go about our days. Holding our heads high, carrying ourselves as ladies as we walk down the street and pay no attention to the stares and drool dripping on the cement.

And if you just can't simply look the other way - then take a new route to work and cross your fingers that no new buildings are going up on your path.

0 comments:

Post a Comment